October 27, 2008
HMSHOST AND RALEIGH-DURHAM INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT OPEN TRAVEL DINING FAVORITES IN NEW TERMINAL 2
BETHESDA, MD − HMSHost Corporation, a world leader in travel dining and shopping, and joint venture partner Sheldon Poole of J.Q. Enterprises, Inc., today announced the opening of seven fresh and exciting dining venues at Raleigh-Durham International Airport’s (RDU) new terminal. With the opening of the new terminal, RDU guests will be able to dine on Southern specialties from local and regional favorites Brookwood Farms, 42nd Street Oyster Bar & Seafood Grill, Carolina Ale House and North Carolina Vintages. These hallmarks of Southern hospitality join national brands California Pizza Kitchen, Gordon Biersch Brewing Company and Starbucks in the grand space of RDU’s Terminal 2.
These national, local and proprietary brands expand the Host/JQ RDU Joint Venture’s presence at RDU, where it currently operates 22 popular restaurant brands, including A&W All American Food, Fresh Attractions, Godfather’s Pizza, Great American Bagel, Starbucks Coffee, Wolfgang Puck and more.
“We are pleased to be able to deliver what our customers want – a variety of local and national brands, healthy options and upscale offerings,” said John C. Brantley, Director of Raleigh-Durham International Airport. “When you look down the concourse of Terminal 2, The Shops of RDU stand out among the many impressive features of the new terminal. We applaud our concession partners for elevating the shopping experience for our customers.”
“These are exceptional restaurants. With terrific brands like Starbucks, California Pizza Kitchen and Raleigh’s own iconic 42 St. Oyster Bar & Seafood Grill, this is a concession program that will truly make the traveler’s day better at Raleigh-Durham International Airport,” said Joe Waller, Vice President, Business Development for HMSHost.
Terminal 2 food and beverage offerings include:
- 42nd Street Oyster Bar and Seafood Grill – Known for serving up an outstanding selection of fresh seafood, the 42nd Street Oyster Bar and Seafood Grill is one of the most renowned eating establishments in North Carolina.
- Brookwood Farms Barbecue – Slow cooking barbecue over coals is how it’s done at Brookwood Farms – a local favorite offering genuine, old fashioned barbecue flavor you can’t get from electric or gas fired stoves.
- California Pizza Kitchen – California Pizza Kitchen features a selection of wholesome hearth-baked pizzas, salads, soups and sandwiches capturing some of the most popular dishes from the full-service street-side restaurant menu. RDU guests will select from the Original BBQ Chicken pizza, Vegetarian and Thai Chicken pizza along with the BBQ Chicken.
- Carolina Ale House – A state-wide favorite known for food, sports and fun, Carolina Ale House’s extensive menu offerings satisfy all cravings. Its wide selection of ales is recognized as one of the best in the market and locals consistently give Carolina Ale House top honors for its atmosphere, famous fries, hand-breaded wings and menu selection.
- Gordon Biersch Brewery Restaurant – Gordon Biersch offers RDU travelers traditional American cuisine with superior, hand-crafted beers and other fine beverages in an atmosphere that is fun, relaxing, and friendly. Travelers may enjoy sit-down dining or a meal at the full-service bar while watching the news or an event on the flat screen TV.
- North Carolina Vintages Wine Bar – This full-service wine bar and restaurant, created in partnership with the North Carolina Wine & Grape Council, celebrates the heritage and growing legacy of North Carolina’s wine industry by showcasing wines from prominent North Carolina wineries, including Biltmore Estate Winery and Childress Vineyards. In addition, Vintages will offer a rotating wine feature from boutique vineyards across the state. Through wine tastings, North Carolina Vintages will introduce RDU’s passengers to the state’s finest wines.
- Starbucks Coffee – The finest purveyor of coffee in the world and the brand that coffee drinkers rely on for exceptional quality, Starbucks offers passengers fast and convenient access to their favorite beverages — including espresso-based drinks, brewed coffees, and Frappuccinos® — in addition to a variety of fresh pastries, sandwiches, and salads.
The airport’s new terminal will be completed in phases between 2008 and 2011 and is a major milestone in RDU’s 20 year development program. As part of the Phase 2 openings scheduled for winter 2011, the Host/JQ RDU Joint Venture will add an additional Starbucks Coffee and Tequilería, a Mexican cuisine casual dining restaurant.