July 15, 2011
HMSHost Brings the Best of L.A. Dining to LAX International Airport with new 10 Year Agreement for Terminal 4
Iconic local restaurants and innovative “Food Truck” to create T4’s Angeleno’s Market
LOS ANGELES — Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) will soon become more than the departure or connecting point in a traveler’s itinerary. HMSHost Corporation, a world leader in travel dining and shopping, has been awarded a 10-year agreement that will bring the best of L.A. cuisine to Terminal 4. The new restaurants will offer local and regional fare to travelers at the airport where, according to Los Angeles World Airports, more people start their trips than at any other airport in the world.
“We have a cast of new, talented and proven restaurants that will put the ‘L.A.’ back into ‘LAX,’” said Los Angeles World Airports (LAWA) Executive Director Gina Marie Lindsey.
With the introduction of these inventive restaurants that are uniquely Los Angeles—from Mediterranean favorite Campanile, to the legendary Cole’s, to vegan restaurant Real Food Daily, to comfort food with a twist from 8 Oz. Burger Bar, a taste of the Left Bank from La Provence Patisserie & Café, and the L.A. Gourmet Street Truck—travelers will know they are in the culturally rich and palpable world of food that is inherent to this great city.
These well-known local dining icons will make their debut at Terminal 4’s Angeleno’s Market—the theme HMSHost created to encompass the culinary diversity and innovative cuisine that contributes to the region’s distinction. Angeleno’s Market is inspired by the vibrancy of L.A.’s iconic Grand Central Market.
Within the promenade of Angeleno’s Market, travelers will have a choice of six gourmet cafés and restaurants as well as every traveler’s favorite coffee, all of which offer a choice of quick or sit-down service at any time of the day:
- An imaginative HMSHost creation leads the roster of flavors at Terminal 4. The first ever in a North American airport—L.A. Gourmet Street Truck—sets up shop in Angeleno’s Market with a menu that features a rotating installation of up-and-coming chefs. Inspired by L.A.’s food truck scene, which has captivated the world’s imagination, local stars of the top trend in dining will operate the location for three to four months at a time giving travelers a taste of the newest culinary offerings in L.A. For example, in spring, travelers may enjoy Calbi’s fusion Korean – Mexican fare that includes tacos with marinated, seasoned Korean beef short rib. In the autumn months, travelers might enjoy Crêpes Bonaparte restaurant’s Caprese or Blue & Spinach lunch crêpes.
- As one of L.A.’s leading chefs, Mark Peel insists on the highest quality food, service, and overall dining experience. And the restaurant that put him on the culinary map is Campanile. Chef Peel’s airport Campanile will have a sophisticated Mediterranean menu that includes wild mushroom risotto with asparagus and shaved parmesan cheese, entrées like grilled pork chop with chestnut puree, or basil and goat cheese ravioli with tomato confit, baby spinach and parsley pesto. The world-class wine bar and chef’s counter facing the open kitchen will round out a truly incredible meal.
- With a heritage that dates back to 1908, it is a challenge to see how any establishment can be more L.A. than Cole’s. Now owned by Cedd Moses—lauded by LA Times Magazine as one of L.A’s Tastemakers—Cole’s pioneered the original French dip, and will offer travelers this sandwich of freshly-sliced beef or chicken on a crisp toasted baguette with fresh au jus on the side, perfect for dipping. Cole’s will also offer salads, a selection of deli sandwiches, and fresh-baked pies. And, well beyond the usual airport drink, travelers will also be able to order a hand-crafted, Prohibition-era cocktail from Cole’s mixologists.
- LAX travelers will be greeted by Fashid Hakim’s La Provence Patisserie & Café. Known for great lattes, wonderfully fresh salads and sandwiches, and amazing baked goods, La Provence Patisserie & Café is a West L.A. destination where even celebrities stand in line for the flavor of the Left Bank. The aroma that will waft through the airport’s La Provence Patisserie & Café will come from its Intelligentsia gourmet coffee—a wonderful complement to its signature tasty macaroons or cupcakes.
- Real Food Daily owner Ann Gentry opened her first vegan restaurant in Southern California in 1993 and has been serving delicious organic food to Angelenos ever since. As the first-ever vegan restaurant in an airport, Real Food Daily will offer travelers appealing starters including Wabi Sabi Rolls, a Mexicali Chop salad with pinto beans, avocado, and seasonal vegetables, along with soy and gluten free milkshakes.
- Top Chef Master Govind Armstrong’s 8 Oz. Burger Bar offers mouth-watering burgers and classic American fare with a California twist. The 8 Oz. Burger Bar offers first-rate comfort food like mini Kobe corndogs with purple mustard, tuna melts made with poached albacore, olive oil and topped with white cheddar cheese. Of course, the signature 8 oz. burger is made with a house blend of herbs and trademark sauce.
- Local and international travelers alike will have access to the ever-popular Starbucks Coffee in Terminal 4, where the beverage line up includes classic espresso-based drinks as well as traditional iced coffee, Mocha Frappuccino and Vivanno smoothies.
“These signature restaurants are mainstays of Los Angeles dining. Now, travelers at LAX will have the opportunity to experience a snapshot of the true flavor of L.A.,” said Steve Johnson, HMSHost’s Senior Vice President, Business Development. “We are delighted to bring the best representation of L.A. food to the airport and know these new dining options will make the traveler’s day better.”
The exciting line-up of new restaurants will begin serving travelers in late summer 2012.
HMSHost is a world leader in creating dining and shopping for travel venues. HMSHost operates in more than 100 airports around the globe, including the 20 busiest airports in North America. The Company has annual sales in excess of $2.5 billion and employs more than 34,000 sales associates worldwide. HMSHost is a part of Autogrill Group, the world’s leading provider of food & beverage and retail services for people on the move. With sales of over €5.7 billion in 2010, the Group operates in 37 countries and employs some 62,000 people. It manages over 5,300 stores in more than 1,200 locations worldwide. Visit www.HMSHost.com for more information and find us on Facebook at HMSHost Making the Traveler’s Day Better.
For Media Inquiries, Please Contact Us.